Free Training If You Lose Your Job From Increased Imports

Ever notice how so many products have gotten less expensive over the last ten years? Shirts that once cost $30 are now sold for $15. Televisions and VCRs – not to mention computers – have never been cheaper. Almost everything we now buy in the U.S. is being made overseas. If you lost your job because of imports, you can get help looking for a new job, or get paid to get more training. The Trade Adjustment Assistance program will help you learn more marketable job skills, so you can move to greener employment pastures. You can receive up to 104 weeks of on-the-job and classroom training; you can receive 52 weeks of benefits after your unemployment expires if you are part of a job training program; you can receive $800 to travel for job hunting purposes, $800 to relocate for a job, and transportation expenses to job training programs. For more information, contact your local employment services office in the blue pages of your phone book, or Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance, Employment and Training Assistance, U.S. Department of Labor, Room C4318, 200 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20210; 202-219-5555; {}. For a listing of state contacts, see the list located after the next item.

Leave a Reply